This easy carrot and zucchini slice is one of our family’s favourite meals. It’s quick and simple to make, is delicious warm or cold so it’s perfect for lunch boxes and picnics, it freezes well and it contains lots of hidden vegetables.
1 large zucchini (see note)
1 large carrot (see note)
1 onion, finely chopped
100 grams (3.5 ounces) bacon, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheese plus extra for topping (I use parmesan but cheddar cheese would also work well)
3/4 cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon butter
Note: I never measure the quantity of carrot and zucchini when I make this and it always turns out just fine. If I don’t have a large zucchini then I’ll use two small ones. I just use what I have and it always tastes great.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Grease a shallow 20cm (8 inch) square baking tray and line with baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in a fry pan over medium heat and gently fry the onion and bacon until the onion is soft (2 – 3 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool. (I put mine in the fridge to cool).
3. Grate the carrot and zucchini into a large bowl.
4. Add the cooled bacon and onion to the carrot and zucchini.
5. Add the flour and cheese to the bowl and mix together.
6. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add them to the carrot and zucchini mixture and combine well.
7. Pour into the baking tray. Sprinkle with extra cheese and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden.
Fry the bacon and onion in the melted butter over medium heat then set aside to cool.
Grate the carrot and zucchini into a large bowl.
Add the cooled bacon and onion to the bowl.
Add the flour and cheese to the bowl and mix together.
In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the the carrot and zucchini mixture and combine well.
Pour into a greased and lined baking dish and sprinkle with extra cheese. Bake in a moderate over for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden.
Looking for more quick and healthy family meals? Check out my simple, kid-friendly, vegetable pasta sauce.
Every Monday I share a kid friendly recipe, healthy snack ideas, and fun ways to prepare kids meals. To see earlier posts in my Little Bites of Fun series, click on the photo below.
If this is your first time visiting One Perfect Day – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest or Twitter where you will find lots of ideas for fun kids activities, thoughts on parenting, family recipes and more.