These little rounds of deliciousness make a quick and easy treat for afternoon tea. They are melt in the mouth goodness, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. They take just ten minutes to whip up and they will disappear in less than ten seconds. They are also a great treat for breakfast. I like to make a batch of these for family movie night when we huddle on the sofa together, enjoying the movie and sharing a plate of dippers. So good!
FRENCH TOAST DIPPERS WITH MAPLE SYRUP (Makes 16. Prep time: 10 mins. Cooking time: 5 mins)
4 slices of bread (I use wholegrain because that’s just what we eat, and it adds some fibre to this dish, but any bread will work)
1 tablespoon milk
Cinnamon for dusting (Optional)
Icing sugar for dusting (Again, this is entirely optional. For my Northern Hemisphere readers, icing sugar is the same as powdered sugar).
TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST DIPPERS
1. Use a circle shaped cookie cutter to cut four rounds from each slice of bread.
2. Break the eggs into a bowl, pour in the milk and whisk together lightly.
3. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a low heat.
4. Dip the bread rounds into the egg mixture and then fry them over a low heat. Turning once, until they are golden.
5. Arrange the french toast dippers on a plate and serve with the maple syrup.
6. Sprinkle with icing sugar (powdered sugar) and cinnamon if desired.
Now watch them disappear! Yum!
These can also be enjoyed as a savoury snack. Simply omit the maple syrup and icing sugar. They are just as delicious and you then have a sugar free treat.
Each week I share a kid friendly recipe, simple snack ideas, and fun ways to prepare kids meals. To see earlier posts in my Little Bites of Fun series, click on the photo below.
If this is your first time visiting One Perfect Day – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest or Twitter where you will find lots of ideas for fun kids activities, thoughts on parenting, family recipes and more.